The Group has just held its latest monthly meeting (23/10/13) and covered a number of important areas but the evening was dominated by some recent news from Welsh Government. The Business and Transport Minister, Edwina Hart, has given her backing to a “South East Wales Metro system”. The minister, having secured significant investment, is setting up a group to look at how the recommendations contained in a strategic report by Mark Barry and associates can be implemented. http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/transport/2013/7991965/?lang=en
The report clearly recognises that Magor with Undy is a significant centre of population within 20 miles of Cardiff and is included within the “City Region” integrated transport plan. Of course this in itself doesn’t mean we have our station, there is still much to be done but it is certainly a major step forward in getting our community back on the ‘rail map’. You can view or download the report here (http://wales.gov.uk/docs/det/publications/131021metroen.pdf )
The rest of the evening covered –
- further planning for our stall at the Frost Fayre
- fund raising, now that we have a bank account!
- the local implications of the main line electrification
- progress with getting our business sponsors lined up
- confirming that as a Group we are opposed to the M4 relief road proposal as it stands.
If you have views or can help with any of the above please leave a comment or get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org.